Earlier this month, I was invited to a 70th birthday party for my best friend’s mom. I was told I didn’t need to bring anything, but my parents taught me never to go to anyone’s house empty-handed. So, I needed to find the perfect special recipe for this special occasion. What says love better than dessert?!
Thanks to the wide variety of Formato Brothers Casa Giulia Jams, I was able to pick the perfect flavor for my fruit bars dessert. I decided to go with Raspberry, but you could pick whatever fruit you prefer.
- 2 ¼ C all-purpose sifted flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 C packed light brown sugar
- 1 C butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- ½ tsp almond extract
- ¼ C Casa Giulia Jam – your choice of flavor
- Preheat oven to 350˚F; spray an 8” square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream the brown sugar and butter until fluffy; beat in the egg and almond extract. With the mixer on low speed, gradually beat in the flour mixture until blended. Scrape the batter into the pan, smoothing the surface with a rubber spatula. Spoon the Casa Giulia Jam over the batter smoothly and evenly.
- Bake until lightly browned, 25-30 minutes. Cool completely on a rack.
My best friend Heather and her mom (and everyone else at the party) loved this! It was so chewy and we didn’t even feel guilty about eating it because of the delicious fruit jam! I can’t wait to make this again; my only dilemma is: which Casa Giulia Jam do I choose next?!
–Andrea Formato Castner