We are so excited about this recipe. For the first time ever we entered it in a Chili Cookoff contest & won first prize! We’ve never entered any contests before, so this was exciting & fun for us. We competed against 19 others & received a fantastic trophy to acknowledge our efforts. Woo Hoo! Thanks to our friend & food consultant, Sam Manfer, for his assistance, & also to our family for helping us with the behind-the-scenes work to make this happen. Click on the link below the recipe to see how this wonderful chili is made.
2 medium sized yellow onions, finely chopped
Antica Italia Extra Virgin Olive Oil (evoo)
1/2 red pepper, finely chopped
Celery, finely chopped to make 1 cup
2 Tblsp Formato Brothers Hot Pepper Spread
1 lb hot or spicy sausage
2 cans (6 oz each) tomato paste (with or without seasonings)
3 cups water
1 can diced tomatoes (15 oz with or without seasonings)
1 can black beans (15 oz) drained & rinsed
1 can kidney beans (15 oz) drained & rinsed
2 Tblsp Alessi Sea Salt
1 Tsp ground black pepper
1 Tblsp garlic powder
2 Tblsp oregano
- Saute the following in Extra Virgin Olive Oil (evoo): onions, red pepper, celery (no leaves), 2 Tblsp Formato Brothers Hot Pepper Spread.
- Split the sausage casing lengthwise; remove casing. Use the back end of a knife to scrape the casing to remove the sausage. Use a spatula to break the sausage into manageable little pieces.
- Add the sausage to the saute pan while vegetables are heating. Cook over low heat until sausage is almost cooked.
- Stir in 2 cans tomato paste.
- Transfer all to a large pot. Add 3 cups water.
- Stir & simmer on a low flame.
- Drain & rinse black beans & kidney beans. Add to mixture in large pot.
- Add diced tomatoes. Stir all together & cook a little while longer.
- Add the following in this order: sea salt, ground black pepper, garlic powder, oregano.
- Cook over low heat for 30 minutes. Add a little water as needed to adjust consistency to your liking.
- Serve in cups or bowls with or without garnish, as desired: more chopped onions, Reggiano, Parmesan, Cheddar or Manchego cheese. Whatever cheese you find in your refrigerator will work.
- Serve with a crisp green salad, some crusty Italian bread, a glass of red wine, such as Cabernet or Pinot Noir, & enjoy a flavorful, delicious meal. Buon Appetito! This may be made a day before serving & then reheated.
Click on the link below to see Sam & Carl in action in the kitchen preparing this chili.