Being Italian is awesome. I love all the various types of cuisine from the different regions of Italy. Some days I’m a marinara type of gal, & some days I want to snuggle with a creamy bowl of Alfredo. however, on certain occasions, I do love a gold, old-fashioned American cheeseburger. As to not make my inner Italian jealous, I’ve combined the best of both worlds to create a healthy variation on an American classic. Here’s what I use:
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 cloves (or more) roasted garlic *
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 T Worchestershire sauce
- 1 T Pagliacci Italian Seasoning
* To roast garlic: take a head of garlic & carefully cut off the tops of all the garlic bulbs, keeping them all in tact. Wrap in aluminum foil & drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the top. Cover with foil & bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes. Let the garlic cool completely & squeeze the garlic out of the bulbs. If you don’t have fresh garlic on hand, 1 T of garlic powder will do just fine.
Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Note that I did not use salt or pepper in my ingredients. The park cheese intrinsically has enough salt, & the Pagliacci Italian Seasoning has everything else I need! Form into 4 patties.
Spray your grill, indoor or outdoor, w/ non-stick spray & turn the heat to medium high.
Cook the patties on the grill for about 5 minutes on each side until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
Grab a few buns & toast if you like.
Place patties on the toasted buns & add your favorite toppings. I like freely cut tomato, basil & a slice or two of mozzarella. If you’re feeling spicy, add 1 T Formato Brothers Spicy Pepper Spread.
This burger was healthy enough that I didn’t feel like I needed to hit the gym right away, & Italian enough so I didn’t feel like I was cheating on my heritage. My only dilemma now is deciding which beer should accompany my burger: domestic or imported? : )